Westminster Village North is set on the site of the Sunnyside Tuberculosis Sanatorium which opened in 1917 as an outgrowth of Wishard’s pulmonary department. In 1918, an open air school opened on the site. In 1969, due to changes in treatment and a reduction in the incidence of TB, the hospital closed. A few years later, the property was purchased by the Presbyterian Church who converted the property to a senior community. When the church divested themselves of their retirement communities, Westminster Village North became an independent, nondenominational retirement community.
In the forty-plus years since that time, Westminster Village North has developed many new offerings for seniors – including Tamarack, the independent living apartment building; Laurel Commons, a state-of-the-art assisted living community; the health center which includes 148 beds; and many beautiful homes. The community has blended historic and new buildings while maintaining the beautiful garden-like grounds of the community.